These matcha shortbread cookies are very simple to make, using ingredients that many might already have on hand. The best part is a little matcha goes a long way! The following recipe yields 20 cookies and you will only need about 2 tablespoons of matcha powder.
What you will need:
- 240 g (2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 15 g (2 1/2 tbsp) organic culinary-grade matcha powder
- 170 g (3/4 cups) unsalted butter, softened
- 130 g (1 cup) confectioners’ sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolks
*You may also choose to add 1/4 cup crushed almonds or 1 tbsp black sesame seeds for extra taste and texture
- In a mixing bowl, mix together the butter and confectioner's sugar with a spatula. Add the egg yolk and mix it in thoroughly
- In another bowl, combine the flour, matcha, (sesame/almonds), and stir with a whisk until combined without any lumps. Add to the first bowl and stir it until the mixture comes together and forms a ball, without overworking the dough. Roll into a log shape about 1 1/2-inch in width. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the freezer to firm up for 40 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 360° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a sharp knife, cut the log into 2/5-inch slices and arrange on the prepared baking sheet; the cookies will spread just a bit
- Bake the cookies in the oven for approximately 11 minutes (or until they begin to turn golden). Let rest for about 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a rack to cool completely
We Also Recommend
Share this post
Promotions, articles, new products and sales. Directly to your inbox.