"Frozen Summit" Dong Ding Oolong Tea. Medium Roast. (Taiwan)
The Emperor of All under Heaven once asked the wise tea master Lao Cha:
– Tell me, what happened to the seed of the tea tree from the famous Wuyi Mountain that we sent to Taiwan almost two hundred years ago?
– It did very well, your majesty. It was planted in the dense forest, on the frozen summit of Dong Ding Mountain, 1000 meters above sea level. There it acquired its unmistakable fruity, honey, and caramel-like taste. When you drink this tea, you’ll feel like you are eating a cookie.
One of the most acclaimed teas of Taiwan is Dong Ding Oolong. The tea plant was originally brought from the Wuyi Mountains in the Fujian Province, mainland China, at the end of the 19th century, and was replanted on the Dong Ding Mountain in Taiwan.
Dong Ding means "Frozen Summit". The tea is planted at an altitude of 1000 meters. The tea garden gets plenty of sunshine in the mornings but is completely covered by fog in the afternoons. High altitude, dense forest, and good soil create favorable growing conditions for the tea trees. All of the above factors result in the strong, easily recognizable flavor and the sweet aftertaste of the Dong Ding Oolong Tea.
- Place of Origin: Dongding, Lugu Township, Nantou County, Taiwan
- Harvest Date: May 2019
- Dry Leaf: Tightly rolled semi-ball shape
- Aroma: Roasted, oatmeal cookie aroma
- Taste: Sweet, roasted taste with fruity notes. Slight caramel and honey finish.
- Tea Bush: C.sinensis cv.Qingxin (Chin Shin Oolong)
- Caffeine: Low
200℉ / 95℃
How to brew loose leaf tea, Gong Fu style:
We Also Recommend
"Moonlight Dragon Ball" Yue Guang Bai White Pu-erh Tea
• Taste: light, sweet, hints of dates • Aroma: honey & dates • Mouthfeel: smooth
"Night-Blooming Jasmine" Ye Lai Xiang Dan Cong Oolong Tea
• Taste: floral, soy milk finish • Aroma: milk & jasmine • Mouthfeel: pleasantly astringent
"Seafoam" Chawan Matcha Bowl (PRE-ORDER)
A deep and wide, 355ml chawan provides enough room for the chasen to effortlessly move back and forth to produce froth and dissolve the matcha powder. Its robust shape sits nicely in both hands. The sea foam-green lacquer with white accents summons images of ocean waves lightly passing over a sandy shore.
"Silver Needle" Bai Hao Yin Zhen White Tea
• Taste: sweet, soy milk finish • Aroma: sun-dried grass • Mouthfeel: smooth & thick
"Snow & Earth" Handmade Gong Fu Teacups
Made by Janusz Jaworski from Togei Kyoshitsu. With the outside of the cup remaining unglazed, we can feel the texture of the earth, reconnection to it as we sip tea. The inside is glazed with a milky-white glaze reminiscent of the snow. The volume ranges from 30 to 45ml.