Organic Smoky Lapsang Souchong Black Tea
A young monk once asked the wise tea master Lao Cha:
– Sensei, how come Lapsang Souchong tastes so good and so comforting, especially in the evening? Every time I drink it I get so cozy.
– The secret lies in the smell of a campfire. Mr. Wen, who made this tea, makes sure that the tea gets nicely fried by the rising smoke of pinewood. This smoke gets absorbed by the gentle tea leaves so later at night you can enjoy the soft mellow taste with the fragrance of campfire. It’s the precise combination to make a person feel oh so cozy.
Lapsang Souchong is the forefather of all the black teas. This organic Lapsang Souchong is handmade by a very experienced tea master, Mr. Wen, who is very strict about using only the traditional methods of tea making. Making Lapsang Souchong requires at least twenty procedures followed by withering, rolling, fermenting and other traditional crafting techniques.
All of this is done in a traditional building with several floors. On the first floor, there is a large fireplace where the pinewood is burning and the smoke that is rising up is used for frying the tea. Smoke from the pinewood gets absorbed by the tea leaves and the final product results in having a scent of smoky pine.
When brewing, with each subsequent infusion the flavor of the tea is slowly fading, but the smoky flavor stays present in each cup until the very end.
This tea's counterpart, the Wild, Non Smoky Lapsang Souchong Black Tea is also delicious, yet without the iconic smokiness.
Smoky Lapsang Souchong Black Tea is a crucial ingredient to the famous tea blend known as Russian Caravan. To make this tea blend, Organic Smoky Lapsang Souchong is blended with Imperial Keemun Black Tea and Oolong Tea. The result is a perfect balance of smoky, sweet, malty, and irresistibly aromatic notes.
- Place of Origin: Tong Mu Guan, Wuyi Mountain (elevation 1000m), Fujian Province, China
- Harvest Time: April 202
- Plucking Standard: One bud and two or three leaves
- Dry Leaf: Tightly twisted strip, glossy black in color with some golden tips
- Aroma: Remarkable and strong, but not overwhelming
- Taste: Notes of smoky pine flavor. The taste is soft, mellow, with a sweet finish; leaving a very pleasant fragrant smell lingering in the mouth and throat
- Tea Bush: Wuyi Qi Cong Cultivar
- Caffeine Level: Medium
195℉ / 90℃
6g Rinse. Then 10sec + 5sec for each subsequent infusion