“Golden Buds” Menghai County Ripe Pu-erh Tea Cake, 2009
A young monk asked the wise tea master Lao Cha:
– Sensei, why does this pu-erh taste so soft, smooth and sweet, unlike most other pu-erhs that I’ve tried before?!
– The secret is simple, young man. The tea leaves from which this tea cake is made are all of the “palace grade” material. Only golden buds and most tender leaves were picked for this exquisite pu-erh.
This tea is from Bulang Mountain and was made in the spring of 2009 by applying 'one bud with two leaves' plucking standard to Menghai large-leaf tea bushes.
There are 11 distinctive grades of Pu-erh. The highest grade is called 'palace grade' which means that it consists of the most tender leaves, as well as golden buds that produce a delicate, soft taste. Usually, when making a pu-erh teacake, the 'palace grade' material gets blended with materials of lower grades to make the tea darker and stronger.
The Menghai Golden Buds Ripe Pu-erh Teacake of 2009 is made entirely from 'palace grade' material, therefore it can be a bit too light for those who are accustomed to stronger teas. However, it's a great choice for those who enjoy a more delicate taste.
NOTE: The pu-erh stand that's on the photos is not included.
• Storage: Store in a cool, dry place away from sunlight; keep ventilated
How to brew loose leaf tea, Western Method:
210℉ / 99℃
6g Rinse. Then 10sec + 5sec for each subsequent infusion
We Also Recommend
"Golden Monkey" Jin Hou Black Tea
• Taste: sweet, notes of sweet potato • Aroma: fruity • Mouthfeel: smooth & rounded
"Green Snail" Bi Luo Chun Green Tea
• Taste: fruity & sweet • Aroma: refreshing & floral • Mouthfeel: smooth & mellow
"Honey Orchid" Mi Lan Xiang Dan Cong Oolong Tea
• Taste: sweet, sharp & floral • Aroma: honey & orchid • Mouthfeel: pleasantly astringent
"Kopi Luwak" Coffee (Bali)
Luwak Coffee comes from the Indonesian Island, Bali – an area well known for excellent coffee. Cute little animals known as Luawk eat the coffee beans and ferment them in their stomachs. "Kopi Luwak" Coffee is like no other with a rich flavor with hints of caramel and a delightful finish.